Newport Fiddle and Folk Club
Club events online only
All our face-to-face gatherings are now suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Most of our events are continuing online (See calendar below).
Subscribe to our email newsletter and like our Facebook page for updates.
All our online events are free of charge.
If you are joining in our events, please support the club by making a donation.
Just pay what you can afford. Thank you!
Zoom for musicians
Our events now take place on Zoom. However, Zoom is designed for meetings, so the standard audio setup is not ideal for music. In fact, Zoom will actively suppress any sound that's not a speaking voice - if you leave the default settings in place. However, you can make your music sound better with a few simple steps:
This video takes you through the steps:
Note: the video assumes you're already in a meeting, but you don't need to start a meeting to change your audio settings. You can also access the audio settings panel if you just start Zoom and click the gear in the top right corner, then select Audio. For first-time Zoom users, you can also watch the video from the beginning.
If you still have audio problems
- Re-start your computer before a Zoom session to clear your computer memory.
- Don't run other applications in the background while running a Zoom session - close everything else down..
- Don't use 'Virtual Background' - it uses up lots of your computer's processing power and memory
- Other members of your household streaming video e.g Netflix might take up a lot of your internet bandwidth and compromise your connection to Zoom.
- To test your sound, start a meeting (you don't need to invite anyone else) and use the Record button on the toolbar to record yourself singing/playing. Choose 'record to computer' rather than 'record to cloud'. Stop the session and listen back to the recording - it gives a good indication of how others hear you.
Subscribe to our monthly news email.
Website designed by